585 Rue St-Jean-Baptiste
History: The Collège Louis-Riel is the culmination of a series of educational initiatives undertaken by several religious communities since the founding of the Catholic mission at Red River in 1818. Secular priests first, then the Catholic Brothers and then the Oblates were in charge of the education of Saint Boniface boys until the arrival of the Jesuits in 1885. They led the classical studies at the College of St. Boniface until 1971, when the institution became a public educational institution “Collège Secondaire de Saint-Boniface” (CSSB), open to boys and girls from 9 to 12 years, became the french high school of the St Boniface School Division.
In Saint Boniface, there were also two other high schools, St. Joseph Academy, run by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, for girls, and École Provencher, led by the Marianist Brothers for boys. The high school curriculum of the two schools ceased to exist at the opening in 1967 of a new joint bilingual secondary school, “Institut Collegial Louis Riel Collegiate Institute”.
In 1982, for lack of enrollment, the bilingual program was transferred and former Collegiate hosted students and staff from the CSSB. It was then that the Collège Louis-Riel (CL-R) was born. The latter joined the new Franco-Manitoban School Division (DSFM) in 1994 and is proud of the role it played in its founding.
In 2004, the International Baccalaureate Program (IB) started at Collège Louis-Riel. In 2009, the Collège Louis-Riel was accepted within the UNESCO schools network.